Save time and get some great books from my list!
Social and restorative justice, mental health, girls/boys curriculum, and activity books galore!
Earlier this fall – the school counselors in TTUSD were lucky enough to each be awarded a $600 grant from the Excellence in Education Foundation. This grant was to be used to help build a social justice library to use with students who get in trouble and hopefully help them learn from their mistakes. In California – they made it really hard to suspend students (good thing), but then they end up in the office all day with nothing to do. In steps the school counselors!
I did a bunch of research and put together a long list of books that may be interesting to you as well. Many of the books are targeted at a high/middle school level, but most have younger versions once you click on the link. I will be splitting this list into two different posts and this is the second. I hope you check them out, buy one or more, and share any additional books or resources you recommend in the the comments for myself and readers to look into. Be sure to check out the first list by clicking this link. Happy shopping!
- The Self-Esteem Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Build Confidence and Achieve Your Goals (Instant Help Book for Teens) – $10
- Counseling Students in Levels 2 and 3: A PBIS/RTI Guide $33
- School Counseling to Close the Achievement Gap: A Social Justice Framework for Success $29
- Positive Behavior Support in Secondary Schools: A Practical Guide (Guilford Practical Intervention in the Schools) – $30
- Restorative Justice Pocketbook – $12
- Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories – $7
- Masterminds and Wingmen: Helping Our Boys Cope with Schoolyard Power, Locker-Room Tests, Girlfriends, and the New Rules of Boy World – $10
- Owning Up Curriculum: Empowering Adolescents to Confront Social Cruelty, Bullying, and Injustice (Book and CD-rom) – $62
- Chill Skills In a Jar: Anger Management Tips for Teens – $9
- The Anger Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anger and Frustration (Instant Help) – $12
- Activities That Teach – $10
[Tweet “Super social/restorative justice book list for counselors – check it out #scchat”]